It’s official- fall is in the air. In Idaho that means you have your heater on in the morning, and switch to the A/C in the afternoon. It also means that we are breaking out our stockpots to make big batches of soul food like soup and chili.
So naturally we wanted to share a favorite soup recipe. It’s quick, easy and hits the spot.
Let us know if you try it!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Creamy, cheesy and delicious!
6 T Butter
1/2 C Onions, chopped
1/2 C Flour
2- 14.5oz Cans of Chicken Broth
2 C Milk
16oz Velveeta, cubed
20oz Broccoli, cooked
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Steam/cook broccoli and set aside.
Chop onion into small pieces.
Cut Velveeta into cubes
- In a medium pot, add butter and onions. Sauté onions until onions are soft and clear.
- Add flour to pot and mix until combined to form a roux.
- Add chicken broth and milk, and heat to a boil.
- When the soup thickens, add Velveeta cubes.
- Once Velveeta is melted and combined with soup, add cooked broccoli.
- Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
- You can use a gluten free flour blend (1-1) in place of the wheat flour.